The dog days are here. Let’s face it — some days are just too hot to spend all waking hours on the beach. When you’re sitting in the hotel room, seeking an alternative to dehydration and heatstroke, whip out this hand-crafted list of unique Worcester County experiences for vacation inspiration.
1) Art League of Ocean City. Fresh galleries with local art and fresh air conditioning with local air. Can you go wrong?
2) Hydrate. Hydrate. Hydrate. Boardwalk lemonade.
3) Get a new board game, or an antique one at World of Toys in Berlin and Toy Town Antiques & More in Snow Hill respectively.
4) Rain, snow or scorched earth — sometimes climate controlled hole-in-ones are better than regular hole-in-ones. Don’t forget about indoor mini-golf in Ocean City.
5) Cantaloupe ice cream at Island Creamery in Berlin. Use your melon — literally and figuratively.
6) Frontier Town lazy river and water slides are tubular! Yes, 1980s, surfer slang pun intended.
7) Worcester County Museums.
8) The Wallops Island NASA Visitor Center is a hike, but still closer than visiting space. If you’re heading that way, the trip will take you through Berlin, Snow Hill, and Pocomoke City. Stop in all of them.
9) Spend part of a morning learning about nautical knot tying, water safety, or more at one of Ocean City Life-Saving Museum’s free summer programs.
10) Sample a few of the 70 different flavors at The Snowball Stand in Ocean Pines.
11) Jet Skiing.
12) Take an Air-conditioned horsequest to see if any of Assateague Island National Seashore’s legendary ponies are out and about.
13) Parasailing may put you closer to the sun — but at least you’ve got that ocean breeze?
14) Don’t even think of turning on that stove! Get delivery or dine out. We’ve got more than a few quality dining options in Worcester County.
15) Afternoon naps are great, especially if you’re tired because you woke up before dawn to catch an ocean sunrise.
16) Antiquing & thrift shopping.
17) Delmarva Discovery Center & Museum. Snakes, turtles, and river otters are waiting for you to visit Pocomoke. Time your visit to see the daily river otter feeding!
18) Use crosswalks. There’s nothing cooler than crossing nine lanes of highway legally and responsibly in the midst of summer traffic.
19) See a movie. You pick — the historic Mar-Va in Pocomoke or a modern theater in Ocean City.
20) Paddle or pontoon the Pocomoke River in Snow Hill, Maryland. Head out before the heat of the day and make use of the bald cypress trees’ shade!
21) Support local cows. The short drive to Chesapeake Bay Farms Dairy, just outside of Pocomoke, won’t leave you disappointed. Cow-to-Cone!
22) Rollercoasters are slightly more amusing than sitting in front of a fan. Well, for some of us.
24) Slide around Jolly Roger Splash Mountain. Just look for an aerial photograph of the place. You’re welcome.
25) Go shopping in Downtown Berlin. (Also, don’t be a huge disappointment to adventurers everywhere and skip those side-streets!)
26) Experience a chilly, Burley Oak Brewing Company root beer.
27) Make a terrarium at Bleached Butterfly’s terrarium bar in Berlin.
28) Buy souvenirs.
29) Rise and shine. Open at 8am, the Ocean Pines Farmers Market, gives you plenty of time to shop before your Saturday heats up.
30) Frozen yogurt.
31) Last, but certainly not least, dip into the Atlantic Ocean. Keep your feet in the sand until the lifeguard’s in the stand.